Get a Martian Passport smartwatch for $199.99 shipped

That's $100 off the regular price of this phone-friendly timepiece, which is among the better-looking products in its class.

February 28, 2014 7:33 AM PST
The Martian Passport looks more like a traditional watch than the typical smartwatch, and it offers Dick Tracy-style calling.

The Martian Passport looks more like a traditional watch than the typical smartwatch, and it offers Dick Tracy-style calling.

(Credit: Best Buy)

I've rarely talked about smartwatches in this space, largely because the category is so new, there haven't been any deals. And even today's I offer up with a grain of salt, for reasons I'll explain momentarily.

For now, this: Amazon has the Martian Passport smartwatch for $199.99 shipped. That's the black-and-silver version with the black wristband. (Best Buy has it for the same price, but you'll be on the hook for sales tax.) It lists for $299.99, and I've rarely seen it for much less than that.

So. Smartwatches. Long before anybody coined that term, I was itching for a simple wristband that would vibrate to let me know when a call or text message came in. When my phone is in my pocket, it happens far too often that I can't hear it beep or feel it buzz, hence calls and messages get missed.

Flash-forward to today. Most pundits expect smartwatches to be the Next Big Thing, but to my thinking not a single current product gets it right. And by right I mean inexpensive, elegant, and simple.

The Passport comes fairly close on those last two counts. To me it looks like a stylish man's watch (sorry, ladies), not some geeky, clunky wrist PalmPilot. And its single-line OLED display keeps it simple, scrolling the text of incoming messages or notifying you who's calling.

There's more to it than just that, of course -- the Passport has some nifty Dick Tracy features, including a speaker and microphone so you can have phone conversations with your wrist. Plus, a single button-press activates Siri or Google Now, allowing you to place calls, send text messages, set reminders, and so on, all while leaving your phone in your pocket.

When I test-wristed the Passport a few months back, I liked it quite a bit, though wasn't prepared to spend $300 for it. Even at $200, it's on the pricey side -- my ideal smartwatch will cost $99 -- but I do think it's one of the cooler watches currently available. Be sure to check out Scott Stein's review, then hit the comments and let me know what you're looking for in a smartwatch -- and whether you think this might be it.

Bonus deal: A simple wireless Webcam can be great for home security, but they tend to be expensive. For a limited time, and while supplies last, DealFisher has the Linksys WVC80N Wireless-N Home Monitoring Camera for $57.99 shipped. It lists for $129.99 and sells elsewhere for around $85-90. But do check the user reviews over at Amazon, which suggest that setup can be a little tricky. Once it's working, though, most people seem to love this security-oriented eyeball.

Deals found on The Cheapskate are subject to availability, expiration, and other terms determined by sellers.

Want to know more about The Cheapskate blog and how it works? Read our FAQ.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 6730362

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.